We get the “oh it must be so nice to get to work with your sister” comment on the daily and it’s true, it’s the best thing but here’s the things no one tells you about what it’s like to work with your sister. Hunter & I are 2.5 years apart, I’ve got the oldest child “bossy” personality, Hunter has the chill, middle child one. We couldn’t be more opposite yet the more we work together, the more we become the same!
Here’s a little background: Growing up, Hunter always kicked it with our younger brothers, they were closer in age and played hockey, built things, loved playing outside, they were always up to something. I was the mini mom to them, I liked to play inside, do crafty things, read books, cook. Hunter & I shared a room, her side was always picked up, mine was an organized chaos. We were just very different.
When I was asked to photograph my first wedding, I needed help and somehow Hunter ended up being the one volunteered to come along. And then as I booked more weddings, she just kept being volunteered (or maybe told in my bossy older sister tone) to come second shoot. Pretty positive she hated it for the first little bit and greatly resented it but slowly she has come around. It’s made us become best friends and I’m so grateful to get to work with her.
1. You will walk out of your bedrooms and have the matching outfits on for wedding days. It happens more often then not…we just laugh about it now.
2. You will get asked “Are you sisters? Are you guys twins?” all the time. One of you will love it, the other will hate it (I’ll let you guess which one is which!)
3. You know when to not look at each other or else you will start laughing uncontrollably. For anyone who knows me, knows that I tend to laugh at the most inopportune times and once I start, it’s hard to stop. So we know when to not make eye contact which leads us to the next point…
4. You will develop a secret language that consists of glances, one word that explains everything, facial expressions, random song lyrics, and much more. No one else will get it which makes it even more fun! We’re good at communicating with each other and it makes wedding days so much easier.
5. You will drive each other crazy. Like insane. But you wouldn’t trade it for anything. You can’t imagine working with anyone else. We have our fair share of arguments but over the years we’ve learned compromise and when to just let things go. We’ve also learned when it’s something to fight for and how to give the other time to come to that conclusion.
6. You will want to be together, even when you’re not working. You would think that you would want to do things alone or with other friends but that’s not the case…you are best friends and joined at the hip. We go to the movies together, travel together, shop together, buy a house together, it’s a package deal!
7. You balance each other out. We couldn’t do what we do without each other. We both push each other to be better in different ways. You can hold each other accountable in ways you couldn’t with other people because you’re sisters.
When Hunter was a senior and trying to decide what to do after high school graduation, I was nervous that if she went to college, our days of working together would be over. I didn’t say anything because I didn’t want to influence her decision at all but God had it all worked out. She works at our Dad’s business, Spectrum Electrical Services, during the week and then we work together on the weekends. I love being able to work from the truck and go on delivery trips with her during the week. We can make an adventure out of anything!
We’ve heard all of the comments about family partnerships never work and it’s always more stress but we’ve had the exact opposite experience and are so grateful to be doing what we love together! Being the 2 oldest of 10 kids in our family, we hope that some of our younger siblings get to experience something like this too!
You can see more of our sister selfies and adventures over on Instagram!
We photograph all weddings together at Seneca Ryan Co and own Confetti Photo Booth together!
Love it and you two!! 💜